Prof. Yuhui Hu earned her Ph.D. degree at Max-Planck-Institute for Molecular Genetics (MPIMG), Berlin, Germany in 2006. Since 2007, she led her own research group on pharmacogenomics & chemical genetics in the same institute and moved in 2009 to the newly founded Berlin Institute for Medical Systems Biology (BIMSB), Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine (MDC), Berlin. Since August 2016, she was recruited as an independent PI by Southern University of Science and Technology, Shenzhen, China.
Prof. Yuhui Hu has a long-standing interest and experience in Functional Genomics, Chemical Biology, and Chinese Medicine (CM). She has particular interest in combining her expertise in both systems biology (genomics, metabolomics, proteomics) and CM theories for the research-driven development of new drugs that are originated from CM natural compounds. She has for the first time established a series of high-throughput platforms, such as Connectivity Map of natural compounds and Transfected Cell Microarrays, for studying the functional mechanism of CM systematically, and in the meantime allowing for efficient assessment of therapeutic efficacies of CM-derived new drug candidates. The research achievement includes, for example, the first report on the genome-wide gene regulatory effects of Ginsenosides. She has identified a few CM compounds with potent anti-cancer and neural protection effects, and is currently applying these into targeted cancer therapy (Precision Medicine).
The research focus of my lab is mainly based on systems biology approaches, particularly, the functional genomic tools that cover the fields of transcriptome, spatial transcriptome, single-cell omics, genome/epigenome, gene editing, proteome, and metabolome. On top of these research platforms, we applied chemical agents (including natural compounds and synthetic drugs) in order to decipher the molecular targets and underlying mechanism (effectiveness, resistance, and toxicity) of the compounds/drugs, and for a long-term goal, hope to facilitate the new drug development for different diseases.
1) Systems Biology-based research of the novel functions of synthetic and natural compounds and the underlying molecular mechanisms, in particular, at the single-cell level.
2) Cancer genomics & chemical genomics for early diagnosis, therapy, & prognosis.
3) Linking Chemical Biology to Cell biology: Compound-induced metabolic stress & epigenetic changes leading to uncharacterized type of cell death/DNA damage & repair.
4) Pre-clinical study of compound leads for new drug development.
09/1998 - 07/2001 M.Sc. in Pharmacy/Pharmacognosy, School of Pharmacy, West China University of Medical Sciences (joint to Sichuan University in 2001), Chengdu, China.
09/1990 - 07/1994 B.Sc. in Chinese Materia Medica, Department of CMM, Chengdu University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Chengdu, China
03/2022 – present PI，Associate Professor, Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Southern University of Science and Technology, Shenzhen, China
08/2016 – 03/2022 PI，Research Associate Professor, Department of Biology, School of Life Sciences, Southern University of Science and Technology, Shenzhen, China
02/2009 – 08/2016 Senior research scientist, The Berlin Institute for Medical Systems Biology (BIMSB), Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine (MDC), Berlin, Germany
05/2007 – 01/2009 Research Group Leader (independent PI) — Pharmacogenomics & Chemical Genetics group. Department of Vertebrate Genomics, Max-Planck-Institute for Molecular Genetics, Berlin, Germany
06/2006 – 04/2007 Post-doc Fellow, Department of Vertebrate Genomics, Max-Planck-Institute for Molecular Genetics, Berlin, Germany
01/2002 - 10/2002 Visiting Research Scholar, School of Chinese Medicine & Department of Biology, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong, China.
07/1994 - 01/2002 Research Assistant, Lecturer（since 1999), School of Pharmacy, West China University of Medical Sciences (WCUMS) (merged with Sichuan University at 2001), Chengdu, China
1. Mingyue Wang, Qinan Hu, Tianhang Lv, Yuhang Wang, Qing Lan, Zhencheng Tu, Rong Xiang, Yanrong Wei, Kai Han, Yanru An, Mengnan Cheng, Jiangshan Xu, Miguel A.Esteban, Haorong Lu, Wangsheng Li, Shaofang Zhang, Ao Chen, Wei Chen, Yuxiang Li, Xiaoshan Wang, Xun Xu*, Yuhui Hu*, Longqi Liu*. High-resolution 3D spatiotemporal transcriptomic maps of developing Drosophila embryos and larvae. Developmental cell，2022，(In press).
2. Shuye Tian, Bin Zhang, Yuhao He, Zhiyuan Sun, Jun Li, Yisheng Li, Hongyang Yi, Yan Zhao, Xudong Zou, Yunfei Li, Huanhuan Cui, Liang Fang, Xin Gao, Yuhui Hu, Wei Chen*. CRISPR-iPAS: a novel dCAS13-based method for alternative polyadenylation interference. Nucleic Acids Research, 2022, gkac108.
3. Weizheng Liang, Guipeng Li, Huanhuan Cui, Yukai Wang, Wencheng Wei, Siyue Sun, Diwen Gan, Rui Chen, Hongyang Yi, Bernhard Schaefke, Yuhui Hu, Qi Zhou, Wei Li, Wei Chen*. Evolutionary Analysis of Transcriptional Regulation Mediated by Cdx2 in Rodents, BMC Genomics, 2021 (in presss) DOI: 10.21203/rs.3.rs-511600/v1
4. Xudong Zou, Bernhard Schaefke, Yisheng Li, Fujian Jia, Wei Sun, Guipeng Li, Weizheng Liang, Tristan Reif, Florian Heyd, Qingsong Gao, Shuye Tian, Yanping Li, Yisen Tang, Liang Fang, Yuhui Hu, Wei Chen*. Mammalian splicing divergence is shaped by drift, buffering in trans, and a scaling law. Life Science Alliance (2021) 5(4):e202101333.
5. Yan Zhao, Jing Sun, Yunfei Li, Zhengxuan Li, Yu Xie, Ruoqing Feng, Jincun Zhao*, Yuhui Hu*. The strand-biased transcription of SARS-CoV-2 and unbalanced inhibition by remdesivir. iScience (2021)24 (8): 102857.
6. Liang Fang, Guipeng Li , Zhiyuan Sun, Qionghua Zhu, Huanhuan Cui, Yunfei Li, Jingwen Zhang, Weizheng Liang, Wencheng Wei, Yuhui Hu & Wei Chen*. CASB: a concanavalin A‐based sample barcoding strategy for single cell Sequencing. Molecular systems biology (2021) 17 (4): e10060.
7. Zhongxiao Li, Yisheng Li, Bin Zhang, Yu Li, Yongkang Long, Juexiao Zhou, Xudong Zou, Min Zhang, Yuhui Hu*, Wei Chen*, Xin Gao*. DeeReCT-APA: Prediction of Alternative Polyadenylation Site Usage Through Deep Learning. Genomics Proteomics and Bioinformatics, 2020 accepted, In-print.
8. Liang Fang*, Wen Wang, Guipeng Li, Li Zhang, Jun Li, Diwen Gan, Jiao Yang, Yisen Tang, Zewen Ding, Min Zhang, Wenhao Zhang, Daqi Deng, Zhengyu Song, Qionghua Zhu, Huanhuan Cui, Yuhui Hu and Wei Chen*. CIGAR‐seq, a CRISPR/Cas‐based method for unbiased screening of novel mRNA modification regulators. Mol Syst Biol (2020) 16:e10025.
9. Hongyang Yi, Guipeng Li, Yongkang Long, Weizheng Liang, Huanhuan Cui, Bin Zhang, Ying Tan, Yunfei Li, Luochen Shen, Daqi Deng, Yisen Tang, Chenyu Mao, Shuye Tian, Yunting Cai, Qionghua Zhu, Yuhui Hu*, Wei Chen* & Liang Fang*. Integrative multi-omics analysis of a colon cancer cell line with heterogeneous Wnt activity revealed RUNX2 as an epigenetic regulator of EMT. Oncogene (2020)39:5152–5164.
10. Yisheng Li , Bernhard Schaefke* , Xudong Zou, Min Zhang, Florian Heyd, Wei Sun, Bin Zhang, Guipeng Li, Weizheng Liang, Yuhao He, Juexiao Zhou, Yunfei Li, Liang Fang, Yuhui Hu & Wei Chen*. Pan-tissue analysis of allelic alternative polyadenylation suggests widespread functional regulation. Mol Syst Biol (2020) 16: e9367.
11. Xi Wang, Xintian You, Julian Langer, Jingyi Hou, Fiona Rupprecht, Irena Vlatkovic, Claudia Quedenau, Georgi Tushev, Irina Epstein, Bernhard Schaefke, Wei Sun, Liang Fang, Guipeng Li, Yuhui Hu, Erin Schuman, and Wei Chen. Full-length transcriptome reconstruction reveals a large diversity of RNA and protein isoforms in rat hippocampus. Nat Commun (2019) 10:5009.
12. Tao Chen, Bin Zhang, Thomas Ziegenhals, Archana B. Prusty, Sebastian Fro hler, Clemens Grimm, Yuhui Hu, Bernhard Schaefke, Liang Fang, Min Zhang, Nadine Kraemer, Angela M. Kaindl*, Utz Fischer*, and Wei Chen*. A missense mutation in SNRPE linked to non-syndromal microcephaly interferes with U snRNP assembly and pre-mRNA splicing. PLOS Genetics (2019) 15(10): e1008460.
13. Haiping Zhang, Linbu Liao, Yunting Cai, Yuhui Hu, Hao Wang*. IVS2vec: A tool of Inverse Virtual Screening based on word2vec and deep learning techniques, Methods (2019) 166:57–65.
14. Zhihao Xia, Yu Li , Bin Zhang, Zhongxiao Li, Yuhui Hu, Wei Chen*, and Xin Gao*. DeeReCT-PolyA: a robust and generic deep learning method for PAS identification. Bioinformatics (2019)35(14):2371–2379.
15. Wei Sun, Qingsong Gao, Bernhard Schaefke, Yuhui Hu, Wei Chen*. Pervasive allele-specific regulation on RNA decay in hybrid mice. Life science alliance (2018) 1 (2):e201800052.
16. Wang, Y., Gogol-Döring, A., Hu, H., Fröhler, S., Ma, Y., Jens, M., Maaskola, J., Murakawa, Y., Quedenau, C., Landthaler, M., Kalscheuer, V., Wieczorek, D., Wang, Y., Hu, Y.* and Chen, W.*. Integrative analysis revealed the molecular mechanism underlying RBM10-mediated splicing regulation. EMBO Mol Med. (2013) Sep;5(9):1431-42.
17. Mazin P, Xiong J, Liu X, Yan Z, Zhang X, Li M, He L, Somel M, Yuan Y, Phoebe Chen YP, Li N, Hu Y, Fu N, Ning Z, Zeng R, Yang H, Chen W*, Gelfand M*, Khaitovich P*. Widespread splicing changes in human brain development and aging. Mol Syst Biol. (2013); 9:633.
18. Li N, You X, Chen T, Mackowiak SD, Friedländer MR, Weigt M, Du H, Gogol-Döring A, Chang Z, Dieterich C, Hu Y, Chen W*. Global profiling of miRNAs and the hairpin precursors: insights into miRNA processing and novel miRNA discovery. Nucleic Acids Res. (2013) Apr 1;41(6):3619-34.
19. Thu-Hang Pham, Christopher Benner, Monika Lichtinger, Lucia Schwarzfischer, Yuhui Hu, Reinhard Andreesen, Wei Chen and Michael Rehli. Dynamic epigenetic enhancer signatures reveal key transcription factors associated with monocytic differentiation states. Blood. (2012) Jun 14;119(24):e161-71.
20. Liu X, Somel M, Tang L, Yan Z, Jiang X, Guo S, Yuan Y, He L, Oleksiak A, Zhang Y, Li N, Hu Y, Chen W, Qiu Z, Pääbo S, Khaitovich P. Extension of cortical synaptic development distinguishes humans from chimpanzees and macaques. Genome Res. (2012) Apr;22(4):611-22.
21. Somel M, Liu X, Tang L, Yan Z, Hu H, Guo S, Jiang X, Zhang X, Xu G, Xie G, Li N, Hu Y, Chen W, Pääbo S, Khaitovich P. MicroRNA-Driven Developmental Remodeling in the Brain Distinguishes Humans from Other Primates. PLoS Biol. (2011) Dec;9(12):e1001214.
22. Zheng Yan, Hai Yang Hu, Xi Jiang, Vera Maierhofer, Elena Neb, Liu He, Yuhui Hu, Hao Hu, Na Li, Wei Chen, and Philipp Khaitovich. Widespread expression of piRNA-like molecules in somatic tissues. Nucleic Acids Res. (2011) Aug;39(15):6596-607.
23. Yuhui Hu and Michal Janitz. High-throughput subcellular protein localization using transfected-cell arrays. Methods Mol Biol. (2011);706:53-72.
24. Mehmet Somel, Song Guo, Ning Fu, Zheng Yan, Hai Yang Hu, Ying Xu, Yuan Yuan, Zhibin Ning, Yuhui Hu, Corinna Menzel, Hao Hu, Michael Lachmann, Rong Zeng, Wei Chen, and Philipp Khaitovich. MicroRNA, mRNA, and protein expression link development and aging in human and macaque brain. Genome Research (2010); 20:1207-1218.
25. Weimin Qiu, Yuhui Hu, Tom E. Andersen, Abbas Jafari, Na Li, Wei Chen, and Moustapha Kassem. Tumor necrosis factor receptor superfamily member 19 (TNFRSF19) regulates differentiation fate of human mesenchymal (stromal) stem cells through canonical WNT signaling and C/EBP. J Biol Chem. (2010); 7;285(19):14438-49.
26. Yuhui Hu, Hans Lehrach and Michal Janitz. Apoptosis screening of human chromosome 21 proteins reveals novel cell death regulators. Molecular Biology Reports (2010); 37(7): 3381–3387.
27. Chen W, Ullmann R, Langnick C, Menzel C, Wotschofsky Z, Hu H, Döring A, Hu Y, Kang H, Tzschach A, Hoeltzenbein M, Neitzel H, Markus S,Wiedersberg E, Kistner G, van Ravenswaaij-Arts CM, Kleefstra T, Kalscheuer VM, Ropers HH. Breakpoint analysis of balanced chromosome rearrangements by next-generation paired-end sequencing. Eur J Hum Genet. (2010) May;18(5):539-43.
28. Yuhui Hu, Hans Lehrach and Michal Janitz. Comparative analysis of an experimental subcellular protein localization assay and in silico prediction methods. Journal of Molecular Histology. (2009) Oct;40(5-6):343-52.
29. Fiebitz A, Nyarsik L, Haendler B, Hu YH, Wagner F, Thamm S, Lehrach H, Janitz M, Vanhecke D. High-throughput mammalian two-hybrid screening for protein-protein interactions using transfected cell arrays. BMC Genomics (2008), 9:68.
30. Y.H. Hu, H. J. Warnatz, D. Vanhecke, F. Wagner, A. Fiebitz, S. Thamm, P. Kahlem, H. Lehrach, M. L. Yaspo, and M. Janitz. Cell array-based intracellular localization screening reveals novel functional features of human chromosome 21 proteins. BMC Genomics (2006), 7:155.
31. Y.H. Hu, D. Vanhecke, M. Janitz. High-throughput subcellular protein localization using cell arrays. Biochemical Society Transaction. (2005) Dec;33(Pt 6):1407-8.
32. Liu L, Han L, Wong DYL, Yue PYK, Ha WY, Hu YH, Wang PX, Wong RNS. Effects of Si-Jun-Zi decoction polysaccharides on cell migration and gene expression in wounded rat intestinal epithelial cells. British Journal of Nutrition. (2005) 93, 21–29.
33. Hu Yuhui, ZHANG Hao, Zhang Zhi-Feng. Determine total flavonoids and scutellarin of Erigeron genus. Chin. J. Pharm. Anal. (2005) 25(1).
34. Hu Yuhui, ZHANG Hao. Chemical comparative study on the active compounds in 5 species of Erigeron. The journal of Chinese Traditional Patent Medicine (2004) Jan.
35. 张志锋，张浩，胡宇慧，刘显福。不同产地多舌飞蓬化学成分的含量测定。《中国民族民间医药杂志》，2003年 2期
36. 胡宇慧，张浩等。欧洲两地和中国西南山区飞蓬挥发油成份的比较。《华西药学杂志》， 2001年16卷3期