Dr. REN Huan is Professor at School of Medicine, Southern University of Science and Technology. She received her Master’s degree of Immunology in 1997 and her Ph.D in Neuroscience from University of Liverpool, UK in 2005, before she completed postdoctoral training at School of Pharmacology, Harbin Medical University. From 2006 to 2018, she served as Professor & Head & Director in Department of Immunology at Harbin Medical University, and was appointed as the Leading Scientist among Immunology Experts in Heilongjiang Province. She is a board member of Chinese Society of Immunology, the Associate Editor with Journal of International Immunology; and a reviewer for National Science Foundation of China (NSFC) and Poland National Grant, and for Ph.D Dissertations appointed by the Ministry of Education. She teaches several courses related to Medical Immunology, and is the Chief Editor or an author for 10 Immunology text books and 9 other academic books. Dr. Ren has finished several research projects funded by NSFC and received several awards including a 1st Class Award in Science and Technology nominated by the Ministry of Education and World Health Organization Fellowship etc. She has trained about 45 Master’s degree students and 15 Ph.D students and postdoctoral fellows in related research. Her research focuses on the mechanisms and strategies on Tumor microenvironmental factor-targeted immuno- & bio-therapies. She has published over 50 peer-reviewed papers in academic journals including Nuclear Acid Research, Neuro-oncology, Cell Death & Differentiation, Mol Cancer Ther, BMC Immunology etc.
M1/M2 macrophage polarization in the establishment of tumor microcirculation in liver metastases；NSFC-81871993; 2019-2022
EGFR activation with the loss of tumor suppressors mediates adaptation to tumor microenvironment to promote glioblastoma malignant progression; NSFC-81472367, 2015-2018
Role of cooperated EGFR activation and PTEN loss mediated Immune-inflammatory network in glioblastoma malignant progression; NSFC-91229112, 2013-2015
Multi-modality of targeted therapy on EGFR/PI3K signaling pathways in glioblastoma; NSFC-30227738, 2008-2010
Molecular targeted therapy in malignant brain tumors: mechanisms and clinical applications; Key project, Natural Science Foundation of Heilongjiang Province; ZD200804-01, 2009-2011
Molecular targeted therapy on EGFR/PI3K signaling pathways in glioblastoma; The Administration of Education PhD academic discipline construction foundation in Higher Education; 20092307110006）2009-2011
Interaction of Immune cells and neural tissues in the relapsing stage of Experimental Autoimmune Uveitis，The Administration of Education CHUNHUI plans; Z2010003, 2011-2012
The molecular classifications of malignant glioma based on EGFR/PI3K signaling pathways，China Postdoc Foundation, Special Plans; 200902417, 2007-2010
In vitro and In vivo the proliferation and anti-tumor activities of Cytokine-Induced Killer cells; First Award, Best articles in 20th Anniversary Chinese Journal of Tumor Biotherapy; 2015
Mechanisms and functions of molecular interactions of PDGFR/EGFR signaling pathways in malignant glioma; 2nd Awards, Harbin City Science and Technology Improvement Award; 2010; Heilongjiang Province Science and Technology Improvement Awards; 2011
Series of anti-tumor biotherapeutic studies: from labs to clinical application. The 1st Award, The Administration of Education nominated, National Science and Technology Improvement Awards; 2006
1) Sun Y, Teng Z, Sun X, Zhang L, Chen J, Wang B, Lu F, Liu N, Yu M, Peng S, Wang Y, Zhao D, Zhao Y, Ren H, Cheng Z, Dong S, Lu F, Zhang W. Exogenous H2S reduces the acetylation levels of mitochondrial respiratory enzymes via regulating the NAD+-SIRT3 pathway in cardiac tissues of db/db mice. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2019;317(2):E284-E297
2) Sun Q, Pei C, Li Q, Dong T, Dong Y, Xing W, Zhou P, Gong Y, Zhen Z, Gao Y, Xiao Y, Su J, Ren H*. Up-regulation of MSH6 is associated with temozolomide resistance in human glioblastoma. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2018; 496 (4): 1040-1046.
3) Sun CH, Zou MY, Li L, Li DX, Ma YJ, Xia W, Wu LJ*, Ren H* Association study between inwardly rectifying potassium channels 2.1 and 4.1 and autism spectrum disorders. Life Sciences 2018; 213: 183
4) Jiao H, Ren H* The effects of vasoactive intestinal peptide in the rat model of experimental autoimmune neuritis and the implications for treatment of acute inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy or Guillain–Barré syndrome Drug Des Devel Ther 2018 6;12: 3817
5) Sun Y, Tian Z, Liu N, Zhang L, Gao Z, Sun X, Yu M, Wu J, Yang F, Zhao Y, Ren H, Chen H, Zhao D, Wang Y, Dong S, Xu C, Lu F, Zhang W. Exogenous H2S switches cardiac energy substrate metabolism by regulating SIRT3 expression in db/db mice. J Mol Med (Berl). 2018;96(3-4):281-299
6) Teng YQ, DongYC, Liu ZY, Zou Y, Xie H，Zhao Y，Su J，Cao FL, Jin H*, Ren H*. DNA methylation-mediated caspase-8 down-regulation is highly relevant to anti-apoptosis activity and human malignant glioma grade. Int J Mol Med 2017; 39: 725-733
7) He X, Ren H*. Non-inflammasome forming NLRC3 suppresses tumorigenesis in the gut. J Xiangya Med 2017; 2: 64 (Editorial invited)
8) Xing WJ, Xiao Y, Lu XL, Li X*, Karin M*, Ren H*. GFI1 down-regulation promotes inflammation linked-metastasis of colorectal cancer. Cell Death & Differentiation 2017; 24 (5): 729-743
9) Lijie Sun, Yan Li, Xiuzhi Jia, Qi Wang, Weihua Zhang, Jingtao Wang, Hongwei Xu, Lihua Wang*, Dekai Zhang* and Huan Ren* Neuroprotection by IFN-g via astrocyte-secreted IL-6 in acute neuroinflammation. Oncotarget 2017; 8(25):40065-40078
10) Junwei Han , Siyao Liu , Zeguo Sun , Yunpeng Zhang , Fan Zhang , Chunlong Zhang , Desi Shang , Haixiu Yang , Fei Su , Yanjun Xu , Chunquan Li , Huan Ren* and Xia Li*. LncRNAs2Pathways: Identifying the pathways influenced by a set of interested lncRNAs based on global network propagation method. Scientific Reports 2017; 7: 46566
11) Liu ZY, Han L, Dong YC, Tan YL, Li YS, Zhao ML, Xie H, Ju HY, Wang H, Zhao Y, Zheng QF, Wang QX, Su J, Fang C, Fu SB, Jiang T, Liu JR, Li X*, Kang CS*, Ren H*. EGFRvIII/integrin β3 interactions in hypoxic and vitronectin-enriching microenvironment promote GBM progression and metastasis. Oncotarget 2016 Jan 26; 7(4):4680-94.
12) Xie H, Yang JF, Xing WJ, Dong YC, Ren H*. Nuclear EGFRvIII Resists Hypoxic Microenvironment Induced Apoptosis via Recruiting ERK1/2 Nuclear Translocation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016; 5; 470 (2):466-72.
13) Ju H, Xing W, Yang J, Zheng Y, Jia X, Zhang B, Ren H*. An effective cytokine adjuvant vaccine induces autologous T-cell response against colon cancer in an animal model. BMC Immunol. 2016; 17 (1): 31
14) Liu CD, Wang Q, Zong DK, Pei SC, Yan Y, Yan ML, Sun LL, Hao YY, Mao M, Xing WJ, Ren H, Ai J. Knockdown of microRNA-195 contributes to protein phosphatase-2A inactivation in rats with chronic brain hypoperfusion. Neurobiol Aging. 2016;45:76-87.
15) Tian L, Li L, Xing W, Li R, Pei C, Dong X, Fu Y, Gu C, Guo X, Jia Y, Wang G, Wang J, Li B, Ren H*, Xu H*. IRGM1 enhances B16 melanoma cell metastasis through PI3K-Rac1 mediated epithelial mesenchymal transition. Scientific Reports 2015 Jul 23; 5: 12357.
16) Yang J, Xu Z, Sui M, Han J, Sun L, Jia X, Zhang H, Han C, Jin X, Gao F, Liu Y, Li Y, Cao J, Ling H, Zhang F*, Ren H*. Co-Positivity for Anti-dsDNA, -Nucleosome and -Histone Antibodies in Lupus Nephritis Is Indicative of High Serum Levels and Severe Nephropathy. PLoS One. 2015 Oct 14; 10 (10): e0140441
17) Dong H, Tian L, Li R, Pei C, Fu Y, Dong X, Xia F, Wang C, Li W, Guo X, Gu C, Li B, Liu A, Ren H, Wang C, Xu H. IFNg-induced Irgm1 promotes tumorigenesis of melanoma via dual regulation of apoptosis and Bif-1-dependent autophagy. Oncogene. 2015 Oct 16;34 (42):5363-71
18) Zheng QF , Han L , Dong YC , Tian J, Huang W, Liu ZY, Jia XZ, Jiang T, Zhang JN, Li X*, Kang CS* and Ren H*. JAK2/STAT3 targeted therapy suppresses tumor invasion via disruption of the EGFRvIII/JAK2/STAT3 axis and associated focal adhesion in EGFRvIII-expressing glioblastoma. Neuro-Oncol 2014; 16 (9):1229-43.
19) Chang L, Su J, Jia X, Ren H*. Treating malignant glioma in Chinese patients: update on temozolomide. Onco Targets Ther. 2014; 7:235-244 (invited review)
20) Jin H, Zhang X, Su J, Teng Y, Ren H*, Yang L*. RNA interference-mediated knockdown of translationally controlled tumor protein induces apoptosis and inhibits growth and invasion in glioma cells. Mol Med Rep. 2015 Nov;12(5):6617-25
21) Jia X, Li J, Shi D, Zhao Y, Dong Y, Ju H, Yang J, Sun J, Li X*, Ren H*. Grouping annotations on the subcellular layered interactome demonstrates enhanced autophagy activity in a recurrent experimental autoimmune uveitis T cell line. PLoS One. 2014; 9 (8):e104404.
22) Li Y, Xu J, Ju H, Xiao Y, Chen H, Lv J, Shao T, Bai J, Zhang Y, Wang L, Wang X, Ren H*, Li X* A network-based, integrative approach to identify genes with aberrant co-methylation in colorectal cancer. Mol Biosyst. 2014;10 (2):180- 90
23) Hu MH, Zheng QF, Jia XZ, Li Y, Dong YC, Wang CY, Lin QY, Zhang FY, Zhao RB, Xu HW, Zhou JH, Yuan HP, Zhang WH, Ren H*. Neuroprotection effect of Interleukin-17 secreted by reactive astrocytes is emerged from a high-level IL-17-containing environment during acute neuroinflammation. Clin Exp Immunol 2014;175 (2):268-84 (cover story)
24) Li Y, Xu J, Chen H, Bai J, Li S, Zhao Z, Shao T, Jiang T, Ren H*, Kang C*, Li X*. Comprehensive analysis of the functional microRNA–mRNA regulatory network identifies miRNA signatures associated with glioma malignant progression. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013 Dec 1; 41(22):e203
25) Sui M, Lin Q, Xu Z, Han X, Xie R, Jia X, Guo X, Zhang W, Guan X, Ren H*. Simultaneous positivity for anti-DNA, anti-nucleosome and anti-histone antibodies is a marker for more severe lupus nephritis. J Clin Immunol. 2013;33 (2):378-87
26) Xing WJ, Zou Y, Han QL, Dong YC, Deng ZL, Lv XH, Jiang T, Ren H*. Effects of EGFR and PTEN gene expressions on the inhibition of U87MG glioblastoma cell proliferation induced by protein kinase inhibitors. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2013;40 (1):13-21
27) Pei C, Chen H, Jia X, Yan L, Zou Y, Jiang C, Jin H, Kang C, Jiang T, Ren H*. A high frequency of MSH6 G268A polymorphism and survival association in glioblastoma. Int J Neurosci 2013; 123 (2):114-20.
28) Xiao Y, Fan H, Zhang Y, Xing W, Ping Y, Zhao H, Xu C, Li Y, Wang L, Li F, Hu J, Huang T, Lv Y, Ren H*, Li X*. Systematic identification of core transcription factors mediating dysregulated links bridging inflammatory bowel diseases and colorectal. PLoS One. 2013; 8 (12):e83495.
29) Jia X, Hu M, Lin Q, Ren H Association of the IRF5 rs2004640 polymorphism with rheumatoid arthritis: a meta-analysis. Rheumatol Int. 2013;33 (11):2757-61
30) Shi M, Huang R, Pei C, Jia X, Jiang C, Ren H* TP53 codon 72 polymorphism and glioma risk: A meta-analysis, Oncology Letters. 2012; 3(3):599-606.
31) Dong Y, Han Q, Zou Y, Deng Z, Lu X, Wang X, Zhang W, Jin H, Su J, Jiang T, Ren H*. Long-term exposure to imatinib reduced cancer stem cell ability through induction of cell differentiation via activation of MAPK signaling in glioblastoma cells. Mol Cell Biochem. 2012; 370 (1-2):89-102.
32) He S, Wang C, Dong H, Xia F, Zhou H, Jiang X, Pei C, Ren H, Li H, Li R, Xu H. Immune-related GTPase M1 (IRGM1) regulates neuronal autophagy in a mouse model of stroke. Autophagy 2012;8 (11):1621-7.
33) Xiao Y, Guan J, Ping Y, Xu C, Huang T, Zhao H, Fan H, Li Y, Lv Y, Zhao T, Dong Y, Ren H, Li X. Prioritizing cancer-related key miRNA-target interactions by integrative genomics. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012; 40 (16):7653-65.
34) Xu J, Li CX, Lv JY, Li YS, Xiao Y, Shao TT, Huo X, Li X, Zou Y, Han QL, Li X*, Wang LH*, Ren H*. Prioritizing Candidate Disease miRNAs by Topological Features in the miRNA Target-Dysregulated Network: Case Study of Prostate Cancer. Mol Cancer Ther. 2011; 10 (10):1857-66.
35) Dong Y, Jia L, Wang X, Tan X, Xu J, Deng Z, Jiang T, Rainov NG, Li B, Ren H*. Selective inhibition on PDGFR by imatinib elicits sustained activation of ERK and downstream receptor signaling in malignant glioma cells. Int J Oncol. 2011; 38 (2):555-69.
36) Jia X, Hu M, Wang C, Wang C, Zhang F, Han Q, Zhao R, Huang Q, Xu H, Yuan H, Ren H*. Coordinated gene expression of Th17- and Treg-associated molecules correlated with resolution of the monophasic experimental autoimmune uveitis. Mol Vis. 2011; 7:1493-507.
37) Li X, Wang Q, Zheng Y, Lv S, Ning S, Sun J, Huang T, Zheng Q, Ren H, Xu J, Wang X, Li Y. Prioritizing human cancer microRNAs based on genes' functional consistency between microRNA and cancer. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011; 39 (22):e153.
38) Zheng H, Liu J, Liu C, Lu F, Zhao Y, Jin Z, Ren H, Leng X, Jia J, Hu G, Dong S, Zhong X, Li H, Yang B, Xu C, Zhang W. Calcium-sensing receptor activating phosphorylation of PKCδ translocation on mitochondria to induce cardiomyocyte apoptosis during ischemia/reperfusion. Mol Cell Biochem. 2011; 358 (1-2):335-43.
39) Xing WJ, Kong FJ, Li GW, Qiao K, Zhang WH, Zhang L, Bai SZ, Xi YH, Li HX, Tian Y, Ren H, Wu LY, Wang R, Xu CQ. Calcium-sensing receptors induce apoptosis during simulated ischaemia-reperfusion in Buffalo rat liver cells. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2011; 38 (9):605-12.
40) Lu FH, Tian Z, Zhang WH, Zhao YJ, Li HL, Ren H, Zheng HS, Liu C, Hu GX, Tian Y, Yang BF, Wang R, Xu CQ. Calcium-sensing receptors regulate cardiomyocyte Ca2+ signaling via the sarcoplasmic reticulum-mitochondrion interface during hypoxia/reoxygenation. J Biomed Sci. 2010;17; 17: 50.
41) Dong S, Teng Z, Lu FH, Zhao YJ, Li H, Ren H, Chen H, Pan ZW, Lv YJ, Yang BF, Tian Y, Xu CQ, Zhang WH. Post-conditioning protects cardiomyocytes from apoptosis via interacting with calcium-sensing receptors to inhibit endo(sarco)plasmic reticulum-mitochondria crosstalk. Mol Cell Biochem. 2010; 341(1-2):195-206.
42) Lu F, Tian Z, Zhang W, Zhao Y, Bai S, Ren H, Chen H, Yu X, Wang J, Wang L, Li H, Pan Z, Tian Y, Yang B, Wang R, Xu C. Calcium-sensing receptors induce apoptosis in rat cardiomyocytes via plasmic reticulum pathway during hypoxia/reoxygenation. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2010;106 (5):396-405.
43) Ren H*, Tan XQ, Dong YC, Giese A, Rainov NG. Differential effect of imatinib and synergism of combination treatment with chemotherapeutic agents in malignant glioma cells. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2009;104:241-252
44) Zhang Wei, Qiu Xiao-guang, Chen Bao-shi, Li Shou-wei, Cui Yun, Ren Huan and Jiang Tao. Antiangiogenic therapy with bevacizumab in recurrent malignant gliomas: analysis of the response and core pathway aberrations. Chin Med J 2009; 122 (11):1250-1254.
45) Li SW, Qiu XG, Chen BS, Zhang W, Ren H, Wang ZC, Jiang T. Prognostic factors influencing clinical outcomes of glioblastoma multiforme. Chin Med J 2009;122 (11):1245-9
46) Ren H*, Yang BF, Rainov NG. Receptor tyrosine kinases as therapeutic targets for malignant glioma. Rev Recent Clin Trials 2007; 2 (2) 87-101 (invited review)
47) Ren H, Giese A, Walker C, Pazmany L, Pelech S, Rainov NG Biological activity of the receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor Imatinib mesylate (STI571) in malignant glioma. Neuro-Oncology 2004; 335: ET-20
48) Rainov NG, Ren H. Clinical trials with retrovirus mediated gene therapy--what have we learned? J Neurooncol. 2003 Dec; 65 (3): 227-36.
49) Rainov NG, Ren H. Gene therapy for human malignant brain tumors. Cancer J. 2003 May-Jun; 9 (3): 180-8.
50) Ren H, Boulikas T, Soling A, Warnke PC, Rainov NG. Immunogene therapy of recurrent glioblastoma multiforme with a liposomally encapsulated replication-incompetent Semliki forest virus vector carrying the human interleukin-12 gene--a phase I/II clinical protocol. J Neurooncol. 2003 Aug-Sep; 64(1-2): 147-54.
51) Rainov NG, Ren H. Oncolytic viruses for treatment of malignant brian tumors. Acta Neurochir Suppl. 2003; 88:113-23