HONG XIN, Tenure-track Assistant Professor & Doctoral Supervisor, SUSTech School of Medicine. He graduated from the National University of Singapore with a PhD degree in 2013. From 2014 to 2020, he conducted his postdoctoral training at Harvard Medical School/Howard Hughes Medical Medical Institute (HHMI), focusing on the biology and clinical application of circulating tumor cells (CTC liquid biopsy). He has published >20 original research articles in influential international journals such as Cell, Cancer Discovery, PNAS, EMBO Journal, Genes & Development that are cited more than 1400 times (H-index = 19, google scholar). He has won several international academic awards such as the A*STAR JCO early career development award (Singapore, 2013), the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) scholar-in-training award (USA, 2020) and others. Since August-2020 his research team has been awarded more than 10 national and provincial-level grants such as NSFC grant for International Excellent Young Scientists, NSFC grant for general program, Provincial-level Innovation Program, Key Program and so on. In addition, Prof Hong served as the associate/guest editor or editorial board members for multiple influential SCI journals, such as Theranostics, BMC cancer and Frontiers In Oncology.
First/Co-first author papers
1. Xin Hong, Whijae Roh, Ryan J Sullivan, Keith H.K. Wong, Ben S. Wittner, Hongshan Guo, Taronish D. Dubash, Moshe Sade-Feldman, Ben K. Wesley, Elad Horwitz, Genevieve M. Boland, Dieuwke L. Marvin, Todd Bonesteel, Chenyue Lu, François Aguet, Risa Burr, Samuel S. Freeman, Laxmi Parida, Katherine Calhoun, Michelle K. Jewett, Linda T. Nieman, Nir Hacohen, Anders M. Näär, David T. Ting, Mehmet Toner, Shannon L. Stott, Gad Getz, Shyamala Maheswaran* and Daniel A. Haber*. The lipogenic regulator SREBF2 induces Transferrin in circulating melanoma cells and suppresses ferroptosis. Cancer discovery, accepted 2020
2. Xin Hong*, Ryan J. Sullivan*, Mark Kalinich, Tanya Todorova Kwan, Shiwei Pan, Joseph A. LiCausi, John D. Milner, Linda T. Nieman, Ben S. Wittner, Uyen Ho, Tianqi Chen, Ravi Kapur, Don Lawrence, Keith T. Flaherty, Lecia V. Sequist, Sridhar Ramaswamy, David T. Miyamoto, Michael Lawrence, Anita Giobbie- Hurder, Mehmet Toner, Kurt J. Isselbacher, Shyamala Maheswaran†, and Daniel A. Haber†. Molecular signatures of circulating melanoma cells for monitoring early response to immune checkpoint therapy. PNAS. 115 (10) 2467-72(2018). (*Equal contributions; † co-corresponding authors)
3. Xin Hong*, Nguyen Thanh Hung*, QingFeng Chen, Rui Zhang, Zandra, Hagman, Mathijs Voorhoeve and Stephen M Cohen. Opposing activities of the Ras and Hippo pathways in cellular transformation converge on regulation of YAP turnover. EMBO J. 33(21):2447-57(2014). (*Equal contributions)
4. Nguyen Thanh Hung*, Xin Hong*, Sam Tan, Qingfeng Chen, Lifang Chan, Marc Fivaz, Stephen M Cohen and Mathijs Voorhoeve. Viral small T oncoproteins transform cells by alleviating hippo-pathway-mediated inhibition of the YAP proto-oncogene. Cell Reports. 7;8(3):707-13 (2014). (*Equal contributions)
5. Héctor Herranz*, Xin Hong*, Nguyen Thanh Hung, P. Mathijs Voorhoeve and Stephen M Cohen. Oncogenic cooperation between SOCS family proteins and EGFR identified using a Drosophila epithelial transformation model. Genes & Development. 26(14):1602-11 (2012). (* Equal contributions)
6. Xin Hong*, Molly Hammell*, Victor Ambros, and Stephen M Cohen. Immunopurification of Ago1 miRNPs selects for a distinct class of microRNA targets. PNAS. 106(35): 15085–90 (2009). (*Equal contributions)
7. Jon F Edd, Avanish Mishra, Taronish D Dubash, Stefan Herrera, Ridhwan Mohammad, E Kendall Williams, Xin Hong, Baris R Mutlu, John R Walsh, Fernanda Machado de Carvalho, Berent Aldikacti, Linda T Nieman, Shannon L Stott, Ravi Kapur, Shyamala Maheswaran, Daniel A Haber, Mehmet Toner. Microfluidic concentration and separation of circulating tumor cell clusters from large blood volumes. Lab on a Chip 20 (3): 558-567 (2020).
8. Carlos Alberto Aya-Bonilla, Michael Morici, Xin Hong, Ashleigh Cavell McEvoy, Ryan Joseph Sullivan, James Freeman, Leslie Calapre, Muhammad Adnan Khattak, Tarek Meniawy, Michael Millward, Mel Ziman, Elin Solomonovna Gray. Molecular heterogeneity of Melanoma Circulating Tumour Cells. British Journal of Cancer 122) (7): 1059-1067 (2020).
9. Chuan Yan*, Dalton C Brunson*, Qin Tang*, Daniel Do*, Nicolae A Iftimia, John C Moore, Madeline N Hayes, Alessandra M Welker, Elaine G Garcia, Taronish D Dubash, Xin Hong, Benjamin J Drapkin, David T Myers, Sarah Phat, Angela Volorio, Dieuwke L Marvin, Matteo Ligorio, Lyle Dershowitz, Karin M McCarthy, Murat N Karabacak, Jonathan A Fletcher, Dennis C Sgroi, John A Iafrate, Shyamala Maheswaran, Nick J Dyson, Daniel A Haber, John F Rawls, David M Langenau**. Visualizing engrafted human cancer and therapy responses in immunodeficient zebrafish. Cell 177(7):1903-1914 (2019). (*Equal contributions).
10. David T. Miyamoto*, Richard J. Lee*, Mark Kalinich, Joseph LiCausi, Yu Zheng, Tianqi Chen, John D. Milner, Erin Emmons, Uyen Ho, Katherine Broderick, Ben S. Wittner, Erin Silva, Sarah Javaid, Tanya Todorova Kwan, Xin Hong, Douglas M. Dahl, Jason A. Efstathiou, Matthew R. Smith, Lecia V. Sequist, Ravi Kapur, Chin-Lee Wu, Shannon L. Stott, David T. Ting, Sridhar Ramaswamy, Anita Giobbie-Hurder, Mehmet Toner, Shyamala Maheswaran**, Daniel A. Haber**. An RNA-based digital circulating tumor cell signature is predictive of drug response and early dissemination in prostate cancer. Cancer Discovery 8 (3): 288-303 (2018). (*Equal contributions; ** co-corresponding authors).
11. Tanya T. Kwan*, Aditya Bardia*, Laura M. Spring, Anita Giobbie-Hurder, Mark Kalinich, Taronish Dubash, Tilak Sundaresan, Xin Hong, Joseph A. LiCausi, Uyen Ho, Erin J. Silva, Ben S. Wittner, Lecia V. Sequist, Ravi Kapur, David T. Miyamoto, Mehmet Toner, Daniel A. Haber**, Shyamala Maheswaran**. A digital RNA signature of Circulating Tumor Cells to predict early response in metastatic and localized breast cancer. Cancer Discovery 8(10):1286-1299 (2018). (*Equal contributions; ** co-corresponding authors).
12. Mark Kalinich*, Irun Bhan*, Tanya T. Kwan, David T. Miyamoto, Sarah Javaid, Joseph A. LiCausi, John D. Milner, Xin Hong, Lipika Goyal, Srinjoy Sil, Melissa Choz, Uyen Ho, Ravi Kapur, Alona Muzikansky, Huidan Zhang, David A. Weitz, Lecia V. Sequist, David P. Ryan, Raymond T. Chung, Andrew X. Zhu, Kurt J. Isselbacher, David T. Ting, Mehmet Toner, Shyamala Maheswaran†, and Daniel A. Haber†. An RNA-based signature enables high specificity detection of circulating tumor cells in hepatocellular carcinoma. PNAS. 114(5):1123-1128 (2017). (*Equal contributions; † co-corresponding authors).
13. Hung Thanh Nguyen, Diana Andrejeva, Rajat Gupta, Chunaram Choudhary, Xin Hong, Pieter JA Eichhorn, Anand C Loya, Stephen M Cohen. Deubiquitylating enzyme USP9x regulates hippo pathway activity by controlling angiomotin protein turnover. Cell Discovery. 2: (1):1-13 (2016).
14. Wanzhong Ge, Qiannan Deng, Ting Guo, Xin Hong, Jan-Michael Kugler, Xiaohang Yang and Stephen M. Cohen. Regulation of Pattern Formation and Gene Amplification During Drosophila Oogenesis by the miR-318 microRNA. Genetics. 200(1):255-65 (2015).
15. Héctor Herranz, Xin Hong, Stephen M. Cohen. Mutual Repression by Bantam miRNA and Capicua Links the EGFR/MAPK and Hippo Pathways in Growth Control. Current Biology. 22(8): 651–7 (2012).
16. Isabelle Becam*, Neus Rafel*, Xin Hong, Stephen M Cohen and Marco Milán. Notch-mediated repression of bantam miRNA contributes to boundary formation in the Drosophila wing. Development. 138(17): 3781-9 (2011). (* Equal contributions).
17. Hector Herranz, Xin Hong, Lidia Perez, Ana Ferreira, Daniel Olivieri, Stephen M Cohen and Marco Milan. The miRNA machinery targets Mei-P26 and regulates Myc protein levels in the Drosophila wing. EMBO J. 29(10): 1688– 98 (2010).
18. Zhen Zhi Tang, Ping Liao, Guang Li, Feng Li Jiang, Dejie Yu, Xin Hong, TanFong Yong, Gregory Tan, Songqing Lu, Jing Wang and Tuck Wah Soong. Differential splicing patterns of L-type calcium channel Cav1.2 subunit in hearts of Spontaneously Hypertensive Rats and Wistar Kyoto Rats. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1783(1):118-30 (2008).
19. Zhen Zhi Tang, Xin Hong, Jing Wang, and Tuck Wah Soong. Signature Combinatorial Splicing Profiles of Rat Cardiac- and Smooth-muscle Cav1.2 Channels with Distinct Biophysical Properties. Cell Calcium. 41(5): 417-28 (2007).